Popular plastic surgery and cosmetic procedures have been around for decades. In fact, it is thought by some that the first plastic surgeon was back in 1827. For adults, it is common to know someone, if not a handful of people, who have gone under the knife.
Recent years have also brought a rise in body positivity. Break out celebrities like the Kardashians and Lizzo have set an example for loving your curves and embracing not being what is represented in the media. So, are more people getting popular plastic surgery now than ever before? To learn more about your cosmetic options from a top plastic surgeon in Los Angeles, get in touch with Dr. Kapoor today!
The Short Answer
Yes, people are getting more plastic surgery now than ever before. According to the American Society of Plastic Surgeons, also referred to as the ASPS, nearly 250,000 more procedures were performed in 2018 than the previous year. In addition, it is important to note that the rising numbers of popular plastic surgery have been evident over the past five years. Here are some of the statistics according to Healthline:
- Breast augmentation is up 4% since 2017
- Liposuction is up 5% since 2017
- Botox up 3% since 2017
- Fillers up 2% since 2017
These are just a few of the cosmetic procedures that have seen a recent increase.
Factors that Influence a Rise in Popular Plastic Surgery
As discussed previously, an entire generational movement has built a foundation on loving and accepting your body, so why do the numbers say otherwise? There are a few factors that could be influencing the increasing plastic surgery rates.
- New technology. It is safe to say that getting plastic surgery in 1970 vs. 2019 is very different. With medical improvements, new technology, and advancements in procedures, popular plastic surgery today is much safer and delivers better results. With all of the improvements comes new confidence and view of plastic surgery, which can cause people to consider it who never would have before.
- Social media. Social media is a double-edged sword. On one hand, it is a platform for spreading acceptance and body positivity. On the other, it is a place young girls and boys (and adults) are hyper-aware of their appearance and “flaws.” In a world of filters and constant access to comparing, it can be easy to see how social media could play a role in starting the thought process of how to go about changes things one does not like about their appearance.
- Acceptance. In today’s world, celebrities and social media stars are open about the procedures they get. In fact, some popular personalities have made thousands of their videos documenting their journey throughout the procedure, which has normalized the discussion. Nowadays, even “regular” adults are getting procedures at their local plastic surgeons to correct things they do not like about their appearance.
- New view on loving your body. Another point to discuss is that many men and women view plastic surgery as a way of self-love. Taking the time, and money, to correct something and boost their confidence is an act of self-care and something admirable.
Top Plastic Surgeon in Los Angeles
Popular plastic surgery is not going anywhere, but only time will tell what that means for the number of people choosing to undergo popular plastic surgery. If you have been considering getting a procedure, the best place to start is with a professional who can expertly answer all of your questions based on your needs. To schedule your visit with Kapoor and his team of professionals, contact our office today!