Breast Reduction Beverly Hills & Los Angeles
Breast reduction surgery, technically termed as reduction mammoplasty, removes excess breast fat, tissue and skin to reduce the breast size and create a more aesthetically pleasing shape that is in proportion with the rest of your body. This procedure, as with many plastic surgery procedures, also offers the medically appropriate functional benefit of relieving the symptoms and discomfort associated with overly large breasts. According to the most recent statistics released by the American Society of Plastic Surgeons (ASPS), breast reduction rates continue to rise, with more than 68,000 procedures performed in 2012 in the United States, which represents an increase of 8% from the previous year.
Dr. Kapoor’s Take on Breast Reduction in Beverly Hills
Breast reduction is one of the many plastic surgery procedures that offer aesthetic and functional benefits for the patient. For women with overly large breasts, even minor tasks can become difficult due to the burden of weight placed on their back and neck. I see many women in my Beverly Hills practice who wish to be able to live their lives pain free so that they can accomplish the goals they have set for themselves. I take great pride in performing this procedure as the immediate physical and psychological benefits are clearly evident. As more women look to breast reduction surgery to enhance their figure and lifestyle, insurance coverage for this procedure is becoming easier to obtain. As a plastic surgeon practicing for years in Beverly Hills, it’s exciting to see tremendous gains in beneficial, medically necessary procedures.
- Dr. Vishal Kapoor / Board Certified Beverly Hills Plastic Surgeon
What You Can Expect at Your Consultation with Dr. Kapoor
A consultation with Dr. Kapoor at his Beverly Hills office will help to determine if breast reduction is right for you. This is an important part of the process which helps Dr. Kapoor understand your goals for your body. There are several issues which will be addressed during your consultation:
- You will be given the opportunity to discuss your desires, concerns, and questions.
- Dr. Kapoor will perform a physical examination of your body
- Dr. Kapoor will make his recommendations based on his professional opinion
- Dr. Kapoor will discuss the benefits, limitations and potential risks of breast reduction surgery
- Dr. Kapoor will answer any other questions or concerns that you may have
Why Women Chose Dr. Kapoor for Breast Reduction in Beverly Hills
Dr. Kapoor is a well-trained, highly experienced, board-certified plastic surgeon in Beverly Hills who uses a refined, mastered technique to improve the size and shape of the breasts to achieve the desired results. His detail-oriented, results driven technique achieves the best possible results with the least amount of trauma and scarring, minimizes potential complications and leads to an optimal recovery process for the patient.
- Highly trained with unmatched experienced having performed hundreds of breast reduction procedures as a board certified plastic surgeon.
- A highly specific approach using a mastered technique for each patient to achieve the results that YOU want for YOUR body.
- Unmatched attention to detail achieves amazing results with minimal complications.
Why Women Want Breast Reduction in Beverly Hills
Women with small breasts may be embarrassed by their chest size and envy other women who have large breasts. Overly large breasts, a condition known as macromastia, can also be a source of embarrassment. Unfortunately for women with macromastia, embarrassment is not the only issue they face as overly large breasts also cause pain and discomfort.
- You are embarrassed or uncomfortable with having overly large breasts
- The size of your breasts limits your ability to run and exercise
- Your breasts are making it difficult to breathe
- You are having back, neck and/or shoulder pain caused by the weight of your breasts
- You are having difficulty sleeping or laying down flat
- You have indentations from bra straps trying to support the weight of your breasts
- The skin under the breast crease gets irritated
- Your breasts hang low and have stretched skin
- Your nipples hang down under the breast crease
- You have enlarged areolas caused by stretched skin
I was in such terrible shape when I came to Dr. Kapoor. I had tried everything my primary doctor suggested to get rid of the constant pain in my neck and back from my large breasts but nothing worked. Finally he suggested I consider breast reduction surgery. I started meeting with plastic surgeons in and around Los Angeles and after meeting with Dr. Kapoor I knew I found the right plastic surgeon for me. Not only was I impressed with the amazing results he gave to other women, him and his staff worked so hard to help me get the procedure covered by my insurance. Now I feel like a whole new person. I’m more social, I exercise more, and I feel so much better. I can’t thank Dr. Kapoor and his staff enough for everything they have done for me!
- Joanne C. Beverly Hills, CA / Breast Reduction
What to Know About Breast Reduction Surgery
Breast reduction involves the removal of excess fat, glandular tissue and skin in order to improve the size, shape, and position of the breasts, this creating a more attractive and better shaped figure. Most candidates for this procedure are seeking aesthetic enhancement as well as relief from physical symptoms.
- Breast reduction surgery should be performed by a board certified plastic surgeon with experience in making incisions on your breasts and surgically removing excess fat, glandular tissue and skin.
- If your breasts have a large amount of fatty tissue, liposuction may be used along with surgical techniques to achieve optimal results.
- The actual technique that Dr. Kapoor will use to reduce the size of your breasts will be determined by your individual condition, breast composition, amount of reduction desired, and your personal preferences which will all be discussed during your consultation.
- It is generally advised that women of child-bearing age who intend to breastfeed should postpone breast reduction surgery until a later date as the procedure may involve the removal of the milk ducts.
- It is recommended that teens postpone the surgery until the breasts are fully developed. Exceptions may be made in cases where discomfort or embarrassment is intolerable. These issues will be discussed with Dr. Kapoor during your consultation.
- The symptoms (back pain, neck pain, shoulder pain, etc…) caused by your overly large breasts will be immediately relieved by the procedure and the results of your breast reduction surgery will be immediately visible.
The Benefits Following Breast Reduction in Beverly Hills
Breast reduction surgery is a highly effective because it directly addresses the cause of the symptoms from having overly large breasts. In the recent past, several medical studies have documented the benefits of breast reduction surgery for women with symptoms related to excessive breast weight. A recent study published by the American Society of Plastic Surgeons examined the satisfaction rates of patients undergoing breast reduction surgery. It is considered to be amongst the first of its kind in regards to documenting satisfaction following breast reduction. The study found that of the women who were polled 6 months following their breast reduction surgery, 90 percent rated their cosmetic outcomes as "good" or "very good." Other benefits of breast reduction surgery include:
- Improved ability to run and exercise
- Relief from back pain, neck pain, and shoulder pain
- Better posture and walking pattern
- Improved ability to breathe
- Improved sleep quality
- Lower incidence of headaches
- Improved breast visualization on mammography
What to Expect Following Breast Reduction Surgery in Beverly Hills
Following your breast reduction surgery you will awake in a surgical recovery room where you will be monitored while you rest. Dr. Kapoor will discuss specific instructions for breast reduction recovery that will include: how to care for your breasts, medications you will need to take, what to look for at the incision sites to ensure optimal healing, and when he will see you at your follow up appointment.
- Dressings and/or bandages will be applied to the incision sites
- An elastic bandage or support bra should be worn to minimize swelling and support the breasts as they heal.
- A small, thin tube may be temporarily placed under the skin to drain any excess blood or fluid that may collect.
- Swelling and bruising are common but should fade within a few weeks following the procedure.
- Patients should sleep on their backs during the recovery period to allow the breasts to heal.
- Patients will be prescribed medication to manage pain, reduce swelling, and fight potential bacterial infections.
- Moisturizer may be applied to the breasts several times daily as the breast skin may be dry.
- Some loss of sensation may occur in the nipples and areas of the skin as a result of swelling.
- Most patients report that they return to work within 7-10 days following the procedure.
- More strenuous activities should be avoided until you are cleared to do so by Dr. Kapoor.
Insurance Coverage of Breast Reduction Surgery in Beverly Hills
One of the biggest debates on-going in plastic surgery circles is the coverage of breast reduction surgery by insurance policies. As breast reduction awareness increases, more and more insurance companies are covering medically necessary breast reduction surgery. If you are considering breast reduction in Beverly Hills, there are several things to consider:
- First you should read your insurance policy to see if breast reduction is covered.
- In most cases, insurers require the surgeon to write a letter requesting coverage based on your symptoms and physical findings.
- These first 2 steps should be done before you schedule the procedure as insurance companies are not obligated to pay for the procedure if it was not preauthorized.
- If your insurance carrier denies your request for coverage by labeling it as a cosmetic procedure, Dr. Kapoor will submit a letter on your behalf to educate your provider about symptomatic macromastia and explain that it is a medically necessary procedure to treat your symptoms.
- Most legitimate insurance providers are familiar with the current standard of care for treating symptomatic macromastia, and will authorize pre-approval for coverage of breast reduction based on documentation of medical necessity.
- If you are denied coverage by your provider and feel that breast reduction is necessary for your health, you are legally entitled to appeal their decision.
- You should write your own letter describing your symptoms and how they have caused you physical distress and kept you from performing activities of daily living pain-free.